Friday 23 August 2013

Basil Green Smoothie Recipe


BASIL GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE

Green smoothies are a fabuloso way of starting the day. Hydrating and alkalising, packed with goodness and yumminess, not to mention fibre for a slow release of energy throughout the morning. Why oh why would one eat soggy cornflakes instead?  (mmmmmmm?)

Basil has been a long-standing favourite in my kitchen, but ashamedly I have used it in very little apart from homemade pesto and as an extra leafy thing in a green salad (both delish).

Whilst trying very hard to “ring the changes” on the greens which go in my breakfast green smoothie, I decided to experiment one day with basil (we had lots in our garden at the time) and it was love at first-taste. 

I had tried mint before and was disappointed by its insistence on being star flavour, thus overriding everything with it, so was a little cautious with basil at first. No need. It adds a certain depth and plays its part without screaming “I’m here”. It has become such a favourite ingredient that our plants are stripped bare and I’m going to have to go foraging elsewhere for it (well – OK – buy it at my local food market)

The following serves 2 people ……….

BASE
A mix of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries with water

GREENS
Good helping of Rocket
Good helping of Basil   

EXTRAS
1 avocado
3 Bananas
Good 1 – 2 dessertspoons shelled Hemp seeds

Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment